Archimedes isn't much of a retriever or swimmer either, despite his obvious lab heritage (we think he's a lab and pointer mix). We probably use the frisbee for ourselves more than him. I do like the idea of using a yogurt container, though. Or perhaps even a shorter and lighter hummus container. He never drinks too much at a time.

I do need the tie-out, but just realized that a ten foot tie-out attached to his leash would serve the same purpose and save quite a few ounces. My local hardwear store sells lightweight, plastic-enclosed cable, so I'll have to buy a few feet of that and try it out. He'd bite right through a length of cord, unfortunately.

I'm definitely going to have to switch out the brush for a pocket comb. It won't be perfect, but it'll be enough to do the trick and the weight savings will be worth it.

I haven't thought about first aid for him, but I probably should if I'm going to take him on longer trips. He's only been on three 2-day trips so far, and is about to go on his fourth. We go hiking three or four times a week, though.

If we go on a much longer trip, I'll just have to carry some of his food myself, I guess. He's only 55 lbs, so I can't have him carry too much.

Thanks for the tips!