I began "backpacking" as a part of mountaineering. My first trip was snow practice with the Spokane Mountaineers in 1966. I used an old external frame with canvas bag that my brother had from boy scouts. My mother sewed my jacket - a waxed cotton thing and a wool shirt. Wool army surplus pants that I made into knickers. We all wanted to look like Gaston Rebufett! Mom also knit me knee high wool socks and a wool hat. My first boots were Red Wing unlined work boots that I had a cobbler replace the original soles with virbrum cleat soles. I borrowed an ice axe and crampons. I shared a tent and cooking with another lady who had all the stuff. We used primus white gas stoves and aluminum pots. I think someone loaned me a down sleeping bag. I had a very hard closed cell ensolite pad.

The pack was really not too heavy - probably only about 25 pounds. As mountaineers we were "backpacking" minimalists, because we needed to be able to carry the TONS of climbing gear - pitons, hammers, and very heavy ropes.

Army surplus and sewing gear were the norm. There was not a lot of commercial backpacking gear available that we could afford. Our mountain school used the first edition of Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills. Even after all these years, still a darn good guide to backpacking and climbing basics.