Originally Posted By jasonklass
The side pockets are virtually useless. Many people complain about this. Other than that, it seems to be a great pack. I almost got one but the bad design of the side pockets was a deal breaker for me.
I have to agree with Trailrunner here. I like the side pockets rather than loose mesh because, in my experience, they help keep whatever's in the pocket (Platypus bottle most of the time) in place without any worry of it falling out. The incredible stretch of the Schoeller material and there durability help to protect the bottom sides of the pack. The compression from the stretch also helps to keep things against the pack allowing for the center of mass to be closer to the body.

I would agree that they are difficult to get into sometimes, especially when the pack is full, but because the materials and construction are bomber, I have no problem man handling the stuff into the pockets. Getting the stuff out isn't as big a deal as a lot of people make it, either. I can do it with the pack on, but admittedly I have to take it off to get the stuff back in. I have grown to really like these pockets and wish other pack manufacturers would follow suite.