Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150707 - 05/24/11 03:24 AM Norwegian looking for some help
noskill Offline

Loc: Norway
Hey,
i am a 19 years old Norwegian boy that is looking for some adventures. i am going to start my master in Marketing this fall and i would love to see the world more. My problem is that i am done with High School and i am very short on cash.

So, my question is : Is it posible to "work and travel" (any work at all). Not planed so far into the future.

This far i've seen alot of "companys" that either charge like 5000$ for a work and travel experience. And if i am going to work a place i am not willing to pay that much.

So, if i were to leave 1 june and travel to 1 july. just around in Europe what would be the odds of me finding a job in the diffrent places. And is it anyone that need work for 1 week.

Thanks for reading this. Any answer is better than nothing:D

Regards Henrik.

#150711 - 05/24/11 08:17 AM Re: Norwegian looking for some help [Re: noskill]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
As you read this, keep in mind my experience is primarily in the US and Canada, but I'm sure many ideas can be adapted to your situation.

I met a man who was doing this many year ago. The difference today is that it is much tougher to get a job, any job. What you are asking for is short term work that can sustain a modest lifestyle for a week or more of no work while in transit.

My opinion is that this is unlikely.

However, all is not lost. Have you considered getting a job that includes travel? The trade off is one might not get to see everything, but one usually gets some time off to see a few things. Here are some ideas.

Military. The trafe-off might be your life, but some consider that worth giving to serve their country.

Railroad. It's not glamorous and as a young man with little experience, the position you get will be even less so. But I had an uncle who got to see a lot of Canada this way.

Cruise ship. I knew several people that got jobs as massage therapists on cruise ships and saw the Caribbean. This requires completion of massage school, about 1 year, and license in the US.

Health care. I have a step-sister who got a job with a company that sent her to various locations as a respiratory therapist. I have also heard of nurses doing this. The companies send a person to a place for several months (contracts vary) and one lives and works in a hospital there. It is in the position of a temp, that is, filling in for someone on a leave of absence or helping during a busy period. These positions usually require at least vocational training or a college degree, so 2 to 4 years of schooling.

Field lab work. I was a field chemist for several years. The company I worked for sent me to various environmental labs around the US, usually to help out during busy periods or for labs that were set up on a short-term basis for a contracted job. We would set up the lab in a trailer or room of a larger building, perform the analysis on-site, then take the lab down and move it back to our warehouses. I was usually at a site for 1 to 3 months, with trips home every 3 weeks. These positions usually require a college degree in a natural science like chemistry.

Service tech. Most manufactures of scientific instruments offer their customers service contracts. This is because it is unlikely one can find someone to service or repair specialty instruments locally. We have service techs come to the chemistry lab at which I am employed. They usually travel in specific regions, but they can move to different regions from time to time. I met one man that spent several years in the Washington, DC area, then moved to the UK and serviced instrument all over the UK, and finally move to Florida and services all of Florida. These positions usually require a college degree in a natural science, engineering, or advanced electronics training.

Traveling carnival. Its seasonal work and I've heard the living conditions for newcomers are especially unpleasant, but it might offer a chance to see a little bit.

I think the moral of the story is, it might be easier to travel and get a job if you get an education first.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

#150716 - 05/24/11 09:55 AM Re: Norwegian looking for some help [Re: noskill]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
A problem in the US is that you need a "green card" to work. Yes, there is plenty of work in the underground economy, but you are easily exploited.

#150720 - 05/24/11 10:58 AM Re: Norwegian looking for some help [Re: noskill]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
At 19, don't you have to do military service? Well, that is a paying gig that offers travel.

From a song that I don't remember the name:
"I joined the Navy to see the world, but what did I see, I saw the sea."

#150728 - 05/24/11 01:00 PM Re: Norwegian looking for some help [Re: noskill]
noskill Offline

Loc: Norway
I am not in the military since i wanna start as soon as posible on my studdies and in Norway every thing but the special forces hag around not doing much. (several friends)

I thank everyone for replaying:D

I have more or less dicided to leave home 10th june and see how far i get with the litte money i got. So just wonderd if it is posible to get a week job in Euorope.(while i travel)

I have been looking at Cruise and other work possibilities But every thing is either to late for this summer or you need to spend a whole year.

But i will go and try this. I have read that it have been done before (get week jobs) but it was unfortunately several years ago:/

Thanks again, If anyone else have some info, tips or anyhing at all feel free to reply:D

Regards Henrik

#150735 - 05/24/11 02:22 PM Re: Norwegian looking for some help [Re: noskill]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You might want to try posting on the Western Europe branch at Lonely Planet. It's a budget travel forum much more in line with what you're seeking.

This forum is about "backpacking" in the American sense, which is wilderness trekking. Of course, you have a lot of that in Norway, too, and that might be another way to seek adventure!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Death in the National Parks
by balzaccom
05/25/24 01:30 AM
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
laneh, leonard, dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles
13244 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum