Sounds like you are pretty familiar with the canyon. I'm sure that I could find a way to get my gear hauled out if I really wanted to and I appreciate the suggestions. However, I have taken this on as a challenge, both physically and mentally. It has given me a goal for which I have been working toward faithfully and passionately for the last 6 months. My long range goal, after this trip is to sustain this level and plan another trip to set another goal. I'm already thinking about the Lower Canyon trip that specializes in extensive hiking.

I have streamlined my gear and clothing to their suggested levels. The first thing to go was the DSLR, strobe, batteries, and lenses @ 10 lbs with no waterproof provision. I have scaled down to an acceptable P&S, and due to wet conditions, an underwater housing to protect it. It will become my backup dive camera after this trip, unless my wife latches onto it to replace her u/w camera. All totalled, camera, housing, batteries, etc. are at 3 Lbs.

It looks like my grand total to pack out, less water, will be under 15 Lbs. I have now worked up to 30 lbs (24lbs + 3L water) on my workouts, 3 times / week. There are some really killer hills around Austin but 400-500 VF is about it. Enchanted Rock, mentioned earlier is about 800 VF.