Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like you may be doing a partial canyon float trip and getting out at Bright Angel Creek.

If so, consider investigating what it takes to get the outfitter to bring your stuff out at the end of his trip and ship it to you, and you just hike out with a day pack.

That way you can go plush and heavy on your river trip gear.

Actually, the usual routine is to have the mules carry bags out.

scottyb, check with your guide service, who will likely be familiar with that option.

scottyb wrote:
Quote:
My question is; is there anything else that I can (should) do over the next 6 weeks to increase my trail readiness?

Your preparations sound reasonable. If you water up at all the rest houses on the Bright Angel, you shouldn't need to carry more than a quart or so on your walk out. Honestly, although the canyon shouldn't be underestimated, the hike up the Bright Angel, with its fairly steady grade and occasional shady spots, isn't that bad. The worst parts are the mules and the idiots. The actual climb feels easier than some 3000 foot climbs on more rugged trails.

This is a quote from the Arizona Raft Adventure's web site, which is repeated in the detailed information I received from registration.
Quote:
However, you must hike with your own personal belongings. The mule duffle service provided by Xanterra Parks and Resorts is not an option.

After looking at your link to Xanterra, I think it is because the rafts never stop at Phantom Ranch, where the duffles have to be dropped off before 7AM. We will be dropped off further down river, at Pipe Creek where the Bright Angel Trail intersects the River Trail. This shortens the hike significantly. I think it is also a means to keep their overall weight down.