I've had unopened (still sealed in that plastic it comes in) uncooked bacon in my pack for over a week before cooking it up. It was a little melted and, dare I say, slimey when I finally opened and cooked it. But, lets face it - your going to fry it at several hundred degrees before you eat it and its loaded with salt and preservatives. It tasted just fine when I finally cooked it. We even dip pan bread into the bacon grease ([Edited for inappropriate languge, please review forum policies for more information] that's good!) Hey, it was a long trip - we earned it. We nearly always eat every bit of the package the same night we cook, but sometimes we'll save some for breakfast. And sometimes the bacon grease left in the pot is used to fry pan bread or powdered eggs for breakfast (Yes - the pot goes into the food bag and gets hung well away from camp - no problems so far). So, from my experience - bacon lasts a [Edited for inappropriate languge, please review forum policies for more information] (Sorry - "VERY") long time.

rionada

Edited by rionada (08/08/08 03:48 PM)