Jim, I paddle with a guy who builds strip kayaks. They are so pretty they look like fine furniture. Fiberglass sandwiching the cedar strips, and the epoxy makes the glass weave go completely away to a glass smooth finish.
"Stitch and glue" is the same idea, only using plywood and fiberglass.
I'm looking for a fast build and want something really light weight. An 'ultra-lite' hot rod to do 'ultra-lite' camping with. Skin-on-frame fits the bill for me. Instead of vinyl, I'll be sewing on ballistic nylon with a single seam down the middle and sealing it with two part polyurethane varnish to make it like plastic. Re arching the building method, I believe I can measure just about any kayak or canoe and duplicate it using skin-on-frame. The 'ancestors' had some serious tech going for them, still relevant today.
I've paddled canoes all my life....still have a nice 19ft. Grumman with a flat transom....but once I paddled my first kayak, I'm hooked. A fleet of three and a forth about to be built No knee problems, much swifter in the water, and easier on the back when loading on the car top. The perfect boat, IMHO.
Why not build one with me?