One other thing - this is my standard routine for going to high elevation in the Sierra - I leave in the evening, drive to 7 or 8,000 feet, sleep in the car or by the roadside ar at the trailhead. In the morning, I either drive the rest of the way and then hit the trail, or hit the trail directly. I can comfortably go to about 11,000 feet my first night on the trail this way, and I live at sea level. I think I'm somewhat lucky this way, but I've done the same thing several years in a row with a friend who lives at sea level nad it works for him as well. I may have a slight headache the first night on the trail but no more than that. From what I've heard from other folks, it seems like most people I've talked to have little or no problem going to 6 or 8,000 feet directly from sea level as long as they drink plenty and take it easy the first day, and then they can go higher each subsequent day by 1-2,000 feet. SO if youare careful you are likley to have no problems. Still, you should read up on altitude sickness so that you know the signs that indicate you should descend IMMEDIATELY. A little headache is no big deal, pulmonary edema is a Big Deal.