Quote:
My original point was that studies suggest that maybe water treatment, of any sort, actually isn't needed in lots of environments.

You're probably right johndavid.

Quote:
I'd say that AT through hikers within 200 miles of NYC region, for example, might reasonaably want something.

Well, the AT is such a freeway. I dunno. Like most, I try to use common sense but when in doubt ....

Quote:
This is where I've done the majority of my hiking over many years. I've only treated water for past few years, due to a certain fussiness, maybe it's creeping old age.

Hmmm, maybe as we develop old timer's disease we try to avoid other diseases w/greater fervor? [chuckle]

Quote:
In Cascades and Olypics, where I've also done a lot, I eschew treatment, while exercising some caution about particular sources.

I do get your point about mountainous terrain. And mostly I agree w/you here also.

It looks to me like our disagreements are twofold:
1) When it comes to generalized statements in re water treatment ... I think recommending treatment is the wisest option.
2) When it comes to the, so called, science of water treatment .... beware false prophets. On both sides of the issue.

As always .... good chatting w/u johndavid.

Peace,

Richard.