I was mostly trying to tell you why some people prefer water treated with either a filter or a Steripen. I think I answered the question you asked well enough.

I also felt, and stated, that your case against Steripen was not documented. You were dissing the firm but did not provide any evidence to back up your claim. You still have not provided any. It is not my responsibility to look up evidence to support your claim; it is yours to provide it. Otherwise, you just sound like someone with a grudge against Steripen.

As for your statement

Quote:
But as is readily apparent .... folks are quick to take umbrage when a product they use is criticized. They behave as if they had been personally attacked

If you say so, but I think it is

Quote:
Ridiculous!

I also use Micropur, iodine, bleach and the MSR Sweetwater depending on what I am about, my financial state and what I have to carry; so do many others. I don't feel that any of these products, including Steripen, are beyond criticism. I also feel that MP1 is the best of the chemical treatments available even though it requires 4 hours against Cryptosporidium. I do note, however, that you seem a little defensive about your choice of Micropur.

Quote:
That's been my experience also. Which is why I simply choose MP1.

Quote:
I have heard many speak of an after taste and when speaking of anything other than Micropur I heartily agree. But no one i've ever given a drink to (plain treated water) has ever mentioned it. And i've never noticed it either. Perhaps it's simply that your taste buds are more sensitive than some others? Or maybe you don't let the container air prior to taking a swig? You seem knowledgeable so i'll assume that you're using the product as recommended.

In sum, yes, you are entitled to your opinion. But, to be credible, you should be prepared to document your assertions.