Quote:

A lot of us don't like the taste of water that has been chemically treated.

Of course. And some prefer Coke (at least those who have good taste). [j/k]

I have heard many speak of an after taste and when speaking of anything other than Micropur I heartily agree. But no one i've ever given a drink to (plain treated water) has ever mentioned it. And i've never noticed it either. Perhaps it's simply that your taste buds are more sensitive than some others? Or maybe you don't let the container air prior to taking a swig? You seem knowledgeable so i'll assume that you're using the product as recommended.

Quote:
Unfortunately, mechanical and electronic gadgets will malfunction. I think that most people who carry filters or Steripens carry some sort of chemical backup.

That's been my experience also. Which is why I simply choose MP1.

Quote:
Would you care to provide some documentation for these assertions.

You'll have to either take my word for it or take a long look around the Internet. The Internet never forgets.

It's been a long time since Steripen came on the market; I no longer have documentation. But I also never (well, seldom [chuckle]) forget egregious conduct.

Quote:
I am not aware of unethical marketing

Would you consider deceiving the public into thinking that the initial factory "special" price (if you buy one now prior to public release) of $200.00 was a limited time offer and then denying that the $200.00 was going be the MSRP available to the public after release .... unethical? I did and still do.

The president of Steripen at the time was quite active on line and I chatted with him about pricing (among other things, ***below). He insisted that the "special" price was for a limited time and not the true MSRP.

Which of course turned out to be BS. As I knew then, the actual price was indeed going to be $200.

I also pointed out there would be discounts available (again i was right; $180, iirc) at the usual outlets almost immediately. Of course the price dropped in what I considered a faster period than most electronic products.

Would you also consider attempting to hide the fact that embedded particulate (e.g., cloudy water) matter was a problem inherent to the design and that filtration was indeed required for anything other than clear water .... unethical? I did and still do. Of course now Steripen specifically address the issue.

***The president and I also chatted about particulate matter hiding and/or shielding contaminants. First he tried to deny that it was a problem inherent to the Steripen design. Then he simply ignored me when I pointed out that the fact was irrefutable and that a filter would be required if one uses a Steripen for most of the backcountry hiking people do. Ergo: A Steripen would be redundant if one also carried a filtration device. Of course today Steripen have admitted the problem exists and offer a (lousy, imho) filter as OEM.

Quote:
nor am I aware of abnormal problems with quality.

Failures (recent) of new and nearly new Steripens have been widely reported in TrailJournals and on the AT board. Specially in re the Adventurer.

Don't take my word for anything! Please look it up for yourself then make up your own mind.

Quote:
Normally, it is considered good form to back up personal assertions with credible scientific reports

Whose scientific reports? Steripens? Others with a vested interest in outdoor products? E.g. those whose livelihood partially depends on selling Steripens? Johndavid and I already went round and round on this one. Just look at the water filter thread he started on this site.

Quote:
rather than to just state what comes across as your opinion.

[chuckle] Of course you know I have every right to state my opinion.

Quote:
I have used a Steripen Adventurer for two years now and have had no problem at all with either function or GI disease; I think there are many others on this forum who will say the same thing if asked.

I am glad that you are satisfied. And I am sure there are many who are likewise satisfied. That is good. It also good to point out that although figures don't lie .... liars do figure. And when it comes to profit making there's a lot of figuring going on.

Side Issue: I also know for a fact that it is virtually impossible to prove that the Steripen may have been the proximate cause of *any* GI discomfort. Although I will point out that it also applies to every other water treatment method I know of.

But as is readily apparent .... folks are quick to take umbrage when a product they use is criticized. They behave as if they had been personally attacked. Ridiculous!

Peace,

Richard.