Quote:
Is this the story of the princess and the pea. Whats all this talk about comfort. A real hiker sleeps buck naked under stars on sharp gravel or hot coals. Just kidding. But I do hear a lot of complaints about how 'the ground is not like my bed at home'. I even hear some folks talk about taking more than one pad to go with their SUL sleeping system. I never have understood all this. A pad is for insulation and maybe a little cushion - but just a little. If the pad is too comfy you should leave it at home and take the cardboard that it came in. I saw an interview of an NFL player that broke his neck and his positive attitude to try to get out of the wheelchair was that he did what ever he could to stay out if his comfort zone. Staying out of your comfort zone is a good way to toughen up. Only use your comfort zone during emergencies - don't live in it.
Here's what you do - sleep on the ground - no pad- for a week. Do it at home or wherever. At the end of the week you should have broken yourself from pad dependency, if not, rinse and repeat.
That advice is guaranteed to put a smile on your face (after an adjustment period).

i'm guessing you're still under 50.