Yesterday one of my daughters and her boyfriend were floating a creek here in the Ozarks (Swan Creek) when a very nasty thunderstorm ripped through the area.

They got out of the water and went over the bank and down into a dry bed of the creek, away from trees, where they waited it out. Trees were blown down, and a deluge of rain and hail kept them in the dry bed for about 20-30 minutes. They were only about five minutes from their take-out when the storm hit.

Three young men that were with their group of friends were standing in the water (about knee deep) when a bolt of lightning hit the creek. They were all instantly knocked down and dazed when they recovered some of their senses. They all said they felt like they got hit in the knees with a huge baseball bat. (People were yelling at them to get out of the water before and when the bolt hit.)

This time of year there is almost always a 30% chance of that kind of storm front tearing through everyday and this year the storms have been particularly nasty.

I think my young`ens did pretty good, but what's the recommended procedure for canoeers in a thunderstorm? Could they have done better?

Bill