I think there is something to be said for both sides of the coin.

As an experienced long-distance trail hiker (AT, CT, BMT, part of JMT, etc), I can appreciate the lightweight/UL movement which has made a reasonably comfortable camp/sleep possible while allowing me to cover 15-25 miles in relative comfort as well. I LIKE having a very supportive pack that weighs only 2 pounds, a roomy tarptent of 27 ounces, a huge down quilt that actually fits me for only 2 pounds. These make my hiking much more pleasant.

Conversely, I have begun backpacking much more with my wife, who does not care for big miles. In this case, I carry a few extra items that make life in camp more comfortable, including fancier cookware and food. After all, I don't have to carry it so far as on a long-distance trip, and I'll enjoy life more when in camp with my wife. But I still really enjoy this luxury with a base weight of only 20 pounds, 10 pounds lighter than my lightest base weight of 9 years ago when I was thru-hiking the AT.

Ultimately, my hackles rise when I see posts explaining how a 3-lb base weight is perfectly reasonable for any one with "basic" knowledge. This post was on another forum and explained how the Sierras in August are more than forgiving and how this was perfectly safe and comfortable. True, the Sierras can be pretty forgiving this time of year. But the poster was an ultra-marathoner who routinely ran 30-mile days with this load. Was it appropriate to tell a novice this was "safe", or "reasonable", or particularly "comfortable"? I have serious reservations. I strongly believe that a 3-lb baseweight is really a "get-away-with-it" figure, posted to make people feel tough about themselves,when they are out on a short trip with a decent weather window. It's a lot like the old-schoolers who used to boast about carrying 90 lbs because they were tough enough to pull it off.

This is why so many folks here ask so many questions before giving answers. We want to offer the best advice possible, and the best for one person is NOT the best for EVERY person.