Jason, you said it well. Hiking, backpacking and mountaineering are not risk-free activities. There is always some objective danger to contend with be it weather or terrain. "Hope for the best but plan for the worst" is the only safe way to play it.

Quote:
For some, it is about new innovation in backpacking equipment and a large part of them going into the wilderness is about using the latest, greatest gear. For others, gear is a distraction when venturing out

I tend to fall into the latter category; I hate fussing with gear and will go for years using basically the same kit. But, the gear I take has been tested for durability and reliability as well as light weight. Cheap gear has just as high a fuss factor as the super ultra light gear with the added issues of low quality materials and construction. Savings are largely illusory if you are having to sit out a severe summer storm. Testing a cheap tent on a clear, starry night is not really a test. For years, I used a WW-II surplus poncho as shelter. I got pretty good at staying dry but not on exposed alpine ridges. When reasonably light, double wall tents came along, I gladly bought one and never used the poncho again.

The main point here, I guess, is that you don't get equipment reports from the folks who die of hypothermia because of equipment failure.