I guess I'd have to question what is meant by summer backpacking. I've been in snow storms in the Sierras in June, July and August. I recall a couple years ago when an unexpectable storm caught some backpackers by surprise in September? in the Kings Canyon area. I think they ended up rescuing a few by helicopter.

I think one of the most exciting parts about backpacking is we're heading out into the unknown. Because, well, it is unknown. And you truely never know what you are going to get. Sure I look at the weather report before I go but those reports are generally not very good for mountain areas. In any case, weather reports, at best, are good for about 3 days and typically my trips are much longer than that.

I also actually like challenging my gear. When Silnylon first came on the scene I remember thinking there's no way this stuff would hold up to the rigors of backpacking. Now I've become quite found of it. It's an incredible feeling knowing my 32 oz SMD Lunar Solo can handle prolong rain and considerable winds. I doubt that Wenzel would do well in those conditions. One of my most memorable experiences was sitting out on an exposed ridgeline while a set of three thunderstorms passed overhead throughout the night. I don't think I slept a wink and it was so cool!

Another requirement I have for a shelter is being able to sit up in it. I used a Eureka Gossamer for one season and didn't like it. The headroom was too tight and it was a pain getting in and out of. I think it was about 24" tall in the front. That Wenzel tent is a taller at 36" but that isn't going to cut it for me. Shelter's like the Rainbow, GG's The One, Henry's new Sublite, as well as my Lunar Solo are all shelters you can sit up in and move around in. And they all weigh consierably less.

So am I willing to pay a couple hunder dollars more for a lighter, more storm worthy, and more functional shelter? Absolutely!

- Erik