Seeing as one of my favorite writers is being asked to carry water for this troll, let me quote a couple of passages from the Complete Walker (this is from the 3rd edition):

1. On the cost of equipment: "'Ignore the cost' is easier said than done, of course (though I should like to add, at the risk of sounding smug, that even when I used to live on what many people regarded as the smell of an oily rag, I would not think of walking away from my ancient car with any equipment in my pack that fell short of the best available)."

2. On what kind of tent to use: "Under most conditions the best roof for your bedroom is the sky. This common-sensible arrangement saves weight, time, energy, and money. It also keeps you in intimate contact with the world you are presumably walking through in order to come into intimate contact with."

(more) "It amazes me, though, that most practicing backpackers also seem to regard a tent as obligatory, even in fair and stable weather."

Hmmm, "best available" equipment, and, er, no real need for a tent for three-season backpacking.