Hector: Perhaps you're limited by exceptionally high humidity down there. It's bad enough sometimes in New Jersey, where I currently live. Up in these parts, however, it seems high humidity and very cool temps, when they happen simultaneously, create the heaviest condensation. I could be wrong, because I try hard to ignore it when possible.

QUALITY ISSUES

As far as "low quality," plastic sheeting is as low as you get. Yet two of the best-known instructional writers in backpacking swear by the stuff.

Most textiles are a commodity product, so as far as fabric, there's probably little or no difference between low and mid-priced backpacking tents.

Seam construction quality can probably more easily vary among tents. A proper sealing, necessary in any case, might strengthen things up some, depending on what sealant is used.

Wenzel uses 'double stitched, lap-feld seams"-- which sounds good anyway. Amazing what they do with automation these days.... Their floor seams are "welded" which does sound a little dubious, although apparently Mountain Hardwear and Sierra Designs use a similar process on certain products.

But more to the point, I've never seen anything like seam failure -- on ANY tent. Just doesn't seem like a reasonable concern.

The Starlight's "low quality" is mainly in evidence in its fiberglass poles, steel stakes, and lousy guylines, all of which I'd toss, though I doubt they'd break (cheap poly cord is excessively strong, steel is steel, etc..) These elements have no affect on weather protection.

I notice Wenzel has a 10-year warranty on materials and construction. If their tents were actually falling apart in appreciable numbers, offering this guarantee might be uneconomical and ultimately impossible for Wenzel.

COUPLE OF DESIGN NOTES

In general, a very low-profile tent like the Wenzel Starlight (24 inches tall at rear) would by definition, have superior wind resistance to "brand X" backpacking tent.

Also a couple of rigid poles, in general, offer more strength and stability than the typical lightweight dome, which in a moderately strong breeze, makes one think of Jell-O, and whose poles, no matter the brand or price, are extremely delicate and prone to breakage.

Break a dome pole, and you've got a problem --- no matter where you like to camp or what you paid for your tent; break a puptent pole (less likely) and a replacement is immediately at hand in the woods.

The Starlight design looks superior to my old 3-pound Wal-Mart tent, due mainly to its door beak, which offers better rain protection when door is open, and its front-to-back taper, which offers lower weight. I also like the door and vent zippers. Mine had cloth ties and yes, it was quite effective in prolonged, windy, heavy rain on many occassions.