You don't say where you do most of your tent use but from the tenor of your post, I suspect that you haven't spent much time at high altitude in really lousy summer weather in the western mountains. If you had, I think you would realize that, with a few exceptions, you pretty much get what you pay for.

Far be it from me to tell you what tent you should take along on any kind of a trip. For myself, there are a few things on which I won't cut corners. These include: A tent, if I feel I need one; my sleeping gear; and my clothing. All of these items contribute to comfort and convenience as well as survival. Yeah, I can make a cheap tent work under really abominable conditions; I have been backpacking and mountaineering for a long time and have made-do in some pretty foul weather. Would I enjoy my time in a leaky, flapping, failing tent? No! Would I spend more money to have a better tent for the next trip? I sure would!

Right now, I have three tents: A SMD Luna Solo (2lb+); a Sierra Designs Lightyear (3lb+) and a Sierra Designs Glacier Tent (7lb+). I also have a 5' x 9' silnylon tarp. For most general summer use where rain is a possibility but not likely, I'll take the tarp or the Luna Solo. If I am on a longer trip where rain is likely and bailout possibilities are poor, I'll take the Lightyear. For four season mountaineering, I take the Glacier.

Sure, I usually have more weather protection along than I really need. But, I would rather have more than I need than less.