At Campmor, Columbia brand is somewhat cheaper than Teva and it seemed to me as of fairly recently, Columbia's cheapest model was also lightest of its type offered (in one particular Campmor catalog). This was therefore my selection.

A young clerk gave me what at least seems like a good tip: make sure there is enough sole in front of your toes to help protect against toe stubbing. My current pair are a size larger than street shoe for this reason. Its been holding well up after 2-3 seasons.

I've hiked & back-packed a modest amount in these sandals without any particular tendency toward blisters.

I'm on lookout for something cheaper and lighter on the Wal-mart side.. But it's got to have the rear strap. I don't think I can get used to thong-style sandals & don't want them.

Keen doesn't appeal to me because of weight and price, and I'm imagining all those extra strap things, or whatever, would catch little bits of gravel, take a long time to dry, and thus be inconvenient. Yet Keen does seem to have rapidly become somewhat popular.