I have somewhat ambivalent feelings towards Ursack, too, since those of us who bought the Vectran bags before August 2006 have been left in the lurch with a bag that Ursack admits is not bear-resistant. However, for those of us outside the SIBBG-controlled areas, it's still a great item for storing food. It is lightweight, doesn't require hours of searching for suitable trees and throwing rocks (something at which I am very bad at) and in most places in the US does keep the varmints out of our food supply. There are a lot of hikers in this country who do not hike in national parks or in places where, to a bear, anything in a bag = pinata. For the majority of us, the Ursack is definitely the answer.

I don't know if Ursack's current outlook is due to the lawyer owner or their location in California, but I think Ursack should forget expensive lawsuits and instead concentrate on marketing to the majority of backpackers, not to those who frequent the Sierra or to PCT through-hikers. I would hate to see them go out of business due to a misguided marketing policy.