I agree with the statement that "Bashing TNF has been a cottage industry for a long time. If you don't like their stuff, go buy something else." Seems like few companies in backpacking garner the particular negativity like TNF. Don't know why.

First I should say that I am not obsessive about weight (which I understand puts me a little out of place here). I do like to save weight when I can, but I don't have a scale and I don't have the "lightest" of anything. Second, I am not a hardcore backpacker, I am a very casual backpacking camper. I do weekends only, occasionally a 3-4 day trip. The longest trip I've ever been on is 6 days in Alaska.

I almost never pay full price for anything. I always pick up deals at outlets and clearance houses like Sierra Trading Post and Campmor. Therefore the high price that people often complain about for TNF gear is not an issue for me. Also, when I look at TNF compared to other comparable products I don't see justification for the price complaints.

About 6-7 years ago I found a great deal on a mid-sized (3500) "Springbok" backpack from The North Face to replace my ancient external frame pack. I have been extremely happy with the pack. It is comfortable and extremely rugged and is holding up very, very well. I have no intentions nor interest in replacing it and it will probably hold up for many years to come..

This year I dropped by their outlet in NY and picked up (for very good prices!) a 3-season sleeping bag and a 2 man tent. I have not used the tent yet, a trip I just went on I used my older, larger model. The bag so far has been great, I have high expectations of the tent.

I have not had to deal with TNF's warrantee department, but I've been very satisfied with their products. I don't find their logo any more offensive than the "Eureka" logo on my large tent or the "Gregory" one on my friend's backpack or any of a hundred other logos.

I like The North Face.