TNF has had a great reputation in the outdoor world, specifically the backpacking and mountaineering communities. I'd heard people complaining about how they have begun to cater more to the Dick's crowd (i.e. the larger consumer market), but until recently I had still put a lot of faith in them. Here's why:

Exhibit A: Quality. My TNF hyvent jacket began to leak buckets recently. The inner lining appeared to have pealed off on the inside on the shoulder, so I thought that might be the problem at first, but not only did it begin to leak on the shoulders, but through the hood! It was about 4 years-old, and used pretty lightly. (I only backpacked with it once or twice, most of its use was for winter wear). Unfortunately I purchased it from their outlet so I couldn't claim warranty. I have since replaced it with an REI ultralight after they told me that they would still take it back after any number of years if such a problem occurred.

Exhibit B: Customer Service. I got a TNF Solaris 40 in the Fall of last year, and recently the hip belt buckle broke for no particular reason it seems. I sent them two e-mails, over a few weeks, and got no answers, so I called them about 2 and a half weeks ago. The representative was pretty helpful and professional, he apologized for the inconvenience (though he neglected to explain why my emails had been ignored), and promised to ship out a buckle the next day. Up till today, I hadn't gotten anything, so I called again this afternoon. I repeated the situation to the girl. She just seemed to sort of suck her teeth and only replied when I said, 'Hello, anyone still there?' It was not the most pleasant conversation. She was terse and unapologetic. I told her it was a Solaris 40, and then she wanted me to let her know the size of buckle I wanted (!) Finally I asked her whether there was anything wrong over there at TNF, and she just sorta said, I don't know why the last person didn't get it out to you, but I can make sure it does. I left it at that.

Exhibit C: What does a lifetime warranty mean? Here's what TNF says on its website:

The North Face products are fully warranted to the original owner against defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. If a product ever fails due to a manufacturing defect, even after extended use, we will repair the product, without charge, or replace it, at our discretion. This warranty does not cover damage caused by accident, improper care, negligence, normal wear and tear, or the natural breakdown of colors and materials over extended time and use. Damage not covered under warranty will be repaired for a reasonable rate and a fee will be charged for return shipping

The liner of my trusty old 6-year-old TNF backpack (a lobster), one which I happened to buy new (i.e. not from an outlet) had been falling off in pieces for quite awhile (at least a year or two). I finally decided that it was time to send it back to their warranty department. I don't know about you, but it seems to me that a lining of a day pack should not be falling to pieces everywhere, even after 5-6 years of use. It was still usable, and thus within the lifetime of the product. I got a call back from them within a week or two, and the lady there told me that the breakdown of the liner could be caused by water damage, or for other reasons... and that the liner of a pack would normally only be covered for a year! She offered to sell me a new pack at 50% off, and I decided to take the offer (this pack was the Solaris 40 mentioned above). In retrospect, I should have made a stronger case with her then. What she told me seems to imply is that TNF has a lifetime warranty, but it expects the life of its packs to only be a year! How confidence inspiring is that?

I would be interested to hear the experience of others with TNF's warranty department. Personally, I am seriously reconsidering any purchase of TNF stuff, unless perhaps its from REI, EMS or some other retailer who will always stand by it.

Yi-Jien
My experience with The North Face's Warranty Department is:
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 04/22/08 12:00 AM
View the results of this poll.