The legal stuff first: Out here in the west, the rule is generally 100 (sometimes 200) feet from the trail, 100 (sometimes 200) feet from lakes and streams, camp on bare ground using already established sites if at all possible. The distances vary by jurisdiction. You also need to remember that while you may see "established" (i.e., well-used) right on the lakeshore or stream bank, they are probably illegal if there are distance rules in effect. No clearing of vegetation or cutting of green wood or brush or digging ditches around your tent. Pack out every scrap of garbage. For toilet use, dig a "cathole" in the top layer of soil (no more than 6 inches deep) and pack out your toilet paper. There may be rules about fires (and seasonal bans)--for instance, no fires at all, no fires at or above timberline, etc. If fires are legal, build them only in already established fire rings. In areas where there are bears you need to follow food storage rules (hang it high or use a bear canister) and these are good rules anywhere--there are other varmints like raccoons and mice and squirrels who'd also love to snack on your breakfast during the night.

Glenn's advice to call the ranger is an excellent one. The map of the jurisdiction (national forest or whatever) will probably have the rules printed it on it, and you should have a map anyway.

"Leave No Trace" principles are the rule everywhere, at least on Federal lands.

OK, that's the legal stuff. The ideal tent site is reasonably level and is not in a depression that will fill with water in a hard or prolonged rain (that's how I found out that a soggy synthetic sleeping bag is no warmer than a soggy down one). You want to remove sticks and rocks or anything that might puncture or rub a hole in your tent floor. Another lesson I learned the hard way--don't pitch over a mouse hole (the mouse never came into the tent but he sure did chew a hole in my tent floor). And look up--you don't want to sleep under large dead branches or close to dead trees (known as "widow-makers"). There's a recent thread on the ideal tent site that you might want to search for (be sure to change the time parameters).

Before leaving camp, do a thorough (and slow) walk-around to make sure you have everything and that you've taken every scrap of trash. I always take other people's trash with me, too. Fortunately, there's rarely much of that in the places I backpack.

For your first real backpacking trip, I'd pick a short trip, only a few miles in from the trailhead, so that if everything should hit the fan you can bail out. For a first trip it's probably going to take you twice as long to set up camp, eat dinner, etc. and to pack up in the morning as it does more experienced people (it still takes me a long time) and you don't want to have to rush things (it's supposed to be fun, after all!). So start looking for a camp spot in mid-afternoon and don't expect to be on the trail until mid-morning. Do practice setting up your tent in the living room or back yard at home until you can do it from memory. Try to figure out how you'd do this in the rain, too, without getting the inside of the tent wet. I always pack my tent in an outside pocket of my pack or on top of the pack so I can get it while leaving the rest of the pack covered.

Have a great trip, and please send us a trip report!