I do understand about the pacifist way of thinking but it can get you killed. You might consider a self defense course. If you see a bear or mountain lion you will know dought 1. try to look large 2. yell loud 3. defend yourself if attacked. I was once carjacked in my front yard with a 9mm held to my head. I didn't do anything but stand their while they went through my pockets and drove off in my car. I went through all the changes for several months until I made a decision to control the situation and not freeze. Now when I'm aproached by anyone, I'm on the defence. Ready to slash vital parts to stop the situation. I may be hurt or killed but I will not be taken advantage of ever again. I'm not giving up to anyone. It's kinda like crossing a rageing stream. If you step gingerly you can be knocked over. Cross the water like you own it. You will slip on a few rocks but with a positive frame of mind you will recover and trudge through the water like a tractor. Most preditors or bullies are cowards. Give them a big suprise and always remain aware of your surroundings.
I hope you never have to use any aggression because it will ruin your day for sure. But!

Happy trails...