I've spent the last two hours searching the archives, and turned up nothing on this topic, so apologies if it's already been addressed somewhere...
I'm a newbie to these forums, but I've been backpacking for the last eight years. I'm about a year away from finishing school, and for the first time having a bit more disposable income, flexible time off, etc, and I hope to get out on the trails a LOT more.
The trouble is that most of my backpacking buddies have moved away, lost interest, or just have very demanding jobs. The last several times I've tried to organize trips, I've been simply unable to find people to go with me. I'd love to start solo hiking (I went on a solo trip once on Assateague and it was amazing), but as a woman (and a short one at that), I'm concerned about the dangers presented by other people. I live close to the AT, but there have been several murders along it, especially of young women hiking alone. How, besides firearms (I'm not particularly comfortable with guns), do other women deal with this danger on the tail? Mace?
I have to admit that, as a soon-to-be veterinarian, my first thought was to get a dog to go camping with me. Besides the time delay in such a plan, due to getting the dog trained well enough to not be a nuisance to other hikers, I also wouldn't be able to bring the dog with me to any national parks. I've also struggled a bit with the conundrum that a dog that was decent protection probably wouldn't be the best animal to have with me in public, and vice versa. If I do get a dog, I will probably wind up training it to go on some of my backpacking trips with me eventually... I'm just not sure whether a canine companion would be a viable way to address to issue of personal security.
Is it just a bad idea for women to go backpacking solo? Or are there ways to make it work? The prospect of 'packing more than twice a year is tantalizing, but I'm afraid I'll be forever unable to find people who can go when I can!