I put on too much weight this last winter myself (a particularly bad winter, with persistent snow at unusually low elevations for Oregon). So I'm having to work extra hard to get in shape for summer. Just don't overdo the exercise to the point of injury, and don't cut the calories too low, or your body will think it's famine time and reduce its basic metabolic rate. Get lots of exercise (but work up gradually) and, as much as possible, avoid fast food and anything with high saturated fat, high sodium and high-fructose corn syrup. Lots of big mixed vegetable salads fill you up with fewer calories and are really good for you. Just be sure to use moderate amounts of dressing. Oil and vinegar, with lots of herbs, make the best salad dressing. Foods high in fiber like whole-wheat bread and brown rice are a lot better than white bread and white rice, which are basically empty calories. Once you get used to the flavor of whole grains, you'll never want to go back to the bland white stuff! Try to imitate the Mediterranean diet--lots of veggies, less butter, more olive oil. And, of course, keep hiking!