The department I work for we used to use Blazers for ammo to qualify with. I suppose it's a little lighter since they use aluminum casings, however it's also cheap, hence why we used it.

It's also cheap meaning that it dirties the firearm, and is known to have jamming issues.

But the reason why we stopped using Blazers is because of an even that happened to me. A little story I'd like to tell you and everyone else about Blazers and why you may not want to use them. This happened to me when I was qualifying a few years ago.

We were shooting the 50 feet exercise, when all of a sudden my duty weapon, (Sig Sauer P229 40 cal) just stopped firing. I wasn't out of ammo, (it was only my 4th round fired in a magazine that holds 13 rounds), the slide wasn't back, and showed no obvious signs of jamming issues. I racked back the slide several times, hit the back of the slide, no "stove pipe" problem and couldn't figure out the problem at first. The range master ran up to me, told me to take the slide off the fire arm. I took the slide off, and he held it up and looked through it.

What happened was only the primer went off causing the slug to only fire half way through the barrel. If I were to be able to fire the weapon, I would of fired a round through a barrel that had another round stuck inside causing damage to weapon and myself. I could of been seriously hurt.

Because of this, I will NEVER fire Blazers out of any of my weapons ever again.

Just something to consider.

Tom

Edited by 12Step (04/12/08 02:41 PM)