Quote:
I've heard a few people say they wear smaller windshirts and put them below their insulation layer. It seems to me a hardwind coming through your insulation layer would lower its effectivness. Is this not correct, or is it just as effective and more a preference thing?

The answer is yes or both.......Depends on what is happening with me and what is happening precipitation-wise. Down does not insulate as well when it is wet though IMHO it only really loses its insulating value when soaked. So, if I am drenched with sweat I either change my under layer or wear a windshirt (GoLite Ether-esque shirt) under my down jacket. If it is wet precpitation and I cannot get under a tarp then I wear my windshirt over it........Goal is to keep it as dry as possible..........If I am fairly dry-not sweaty-and the air is dry then I might not even use the windshirt........let me and the jacket breathe.........On extended trips I want to let my down stuff-jacket/sleeping bag get a chance to air out as often as possible............My down jackets are fairly wind resistant and thus I rarely worry about bone chilling wind........If that was a problem I would put the windshirt over the down...........

Make sense?