Yes, you are detecting a bit of a bear phobia in me, which I shouldn't have transmitted to Square Globe. Sorry! The problem I have is with habituated bears in many national parks, definitely colored by my many experiences with Yellowstone bears as a child and teenager (we went there almost every year), to say nothing of the many apocryphal bear stories I grew up with living in Wyoming. Of course Yellowstone bears are far less habituated than they were in the 1950's, thanks to the 360-degree turnaround in park bear policy in the 1960's. (In 1968 the "bear jams" from bears begging along the roads had completely disappeared--in fact, we didn't see a bear the whole time we were there, to the great disappointment of my children.) Bears outside of national parks don't bother me because they are far more shy of people. My second prejudice is that I have always disliked Yellowstone--a couple of hours around stinky hot water has always been enough to make me want to head for someplace scenic like the Tetons. My third prejudice is an aversion to the bureaucracy you have to deal with to backpack in any national park. I hate being so inflexible. Finally, national parks won't allow my dog, so I don't backpack there!

Your Mileage, of course, May (and will) Vary!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/02/08 11:36 PM)