1. Whatever fits best is what you should use. I would recommend going out with the pack you have a few times, and figure out your "style" and if you are really serious about backpacking before investing in a new pack. I'm on my 5th pack right now, which is the one I have settled on as it fits the best.

2. Bears are a risk of backpacking, but I wouldn't worry too much about them. Especially in NC/VA. Just make sure you handle and hang your food properly. The only places around here where there are decent populations of bears are in Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah NPs. I have been hiking in the SE for over 6 years and have never even seen a bear here (only heard one in the Smokys). But like I said it is a risk you take, and as another poster put it you can check local regulations on carrying a gun if that makes you more comfortable. For what it's worth I am a gun advocate, own several guns, and I have never carried. I have considered it, and that wasn't cause of bears (it was cause of 2 legged "varmints").

3. Grocery store. You can also go to a local backpacking store and buy freeze dried meals made by companies like Mountain House. I usually carry stuff like oatmeal, energy bars, Fritos, foil packages of tuna or chicken, pita bread, jerky, Gorp (just buy some nuts and dried fruit and mix them together), tea, candy, and whatever else I happen to be in the mood for. I carry Mountain House meals for suppers and sometimes carry the eggs for breakfast. I have carried things like Lipton Noodles before, and those work fine to. The Mountain House type meals are just a little easier to prepare (boil water, dump in meal, wait 10 minutes, and eat).

4. Read all the stuff on this site. This is one of the best places for good backpacking info on the net.