Howdy everyone,

I'll start off with a little introduction, I'm new to the site and somewhat new to backpacking. I've had some experience, I've been on a two week backpacking trip with a pretty large group, I used to be a Life rank in BSA, and I grew up in the woods so I'm comfortable out in the rough stuff. But I know enough to know that I should ask the experts for some advice, because it's easy to get yourself in a nasty situation out there.

I'm planning to organize a trip with a few of my friends, and try to hit a approximately four day to a week long trip somewhere in the east coast (most likely around Virginia/NC).

Obviously we've got to organize gear, food, and plan out a route along with some backup plans, but I've got a few questions on specifics.

1) I've got an older external frame backpack, but almost everything I see on the web is an internal frame. Should I invest in a nice internal frame, or is my old backpack just fine?

2) I'm a bit nervous about bears, I've had some nasty experiences before and I have to put one down with my .300 Savage. Is it worth it carrying a handgun on the trail? If so, what calibers are appropriate? I've got three .38 Specials, but that's far too small to even bother a bear, but I've also got a .45ACP and have been considering a 10MM Auto Glock 21 (this could be an excuse to buy it).

3) What's the best medium to handle food? I love MREs, but I don't know if they are the most efficient way to handle food in terms of weight. When I was in boy scouts, we humped in coolers, and my previous backing experience was mostly freeze dried food.

4) Anything else I should know? Any good books out there?

And just for some other information, I'm 20 and in pretty good shape (I run a few miles and day and do Crossfit).

Thanks!