I have quite a few packs, external frame, internal frame, frameless.. I grew up with an external frame. You are right they are not very fashionable. I wonder how much that plays into the popularity of the internals. I also wonder how many are able to admit they chose an internal due to the "look" of an external. For any weight over 20lbs, I find my external frame to be much more comfortable than my internal. It looks like I am an el-cheapo backpacker, which of course I am. The external also provides more ventialtion between my back and the pack in the hot months. Of course, if I am bushwhacking I need the slimmer/lower profile of the internal to navigate the blowdown and undergrowth. On a well maintained trail, nothing beats an external unless fashion matters. Different packs for different uses. Oh, my external set-up is under 3lbs. I attach my frameless FF pack (9.5oz) to a stripped down aluminum frame,with shoulder pads an d hipbelt. The total weight is 35ozs.

Sorry for the threadjack. But so I am not so off topic, the external is extremely easy to lash a bear cannister to. If done right, it can easily be removed as a quick seat.

I am still trying to figure out a way to modify another external frame to be able to be used as a camp table! If anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear them.