Yeah, I thought of trying that too, but the Bushbuddy is in essence like using a gas canister or white gas stove in terms of convenience. I can collect a little wood (it doesn't take much) along the way, throw the stove down, throw the wood in, start it up, and throw my pot on (it has a integral pot holder). I envision that when I get proficient at this it will not take much longer than pulling out the canister stove, screwing it onto the canister, lighting it and throwing the pot on it.

I'm sure someone proficient at using a cook fire could probably boil water that way pretty quickly too. The only issue there is finding rocks, and the potential "scar" you have to remove when you are done. The Bushbuddy doesn't leave a scar. As a matter of fact, you can actually pick it up from the bottom with your bare hand when it has a fire in it. So anyway, once done boiling water or whatever, you just let it go out. Then when you ensure it is out you dump out the minimal amount of ash it generated. So at right around 5 oz, it appears to be a good tradeoff between weight and convenience. Like I said though, I still have to field test it to decide if I really like it or not. The soot is definitely a pain in the rear.