A similar article on Thru-Hiker.com shows the canister and cat (alcohol) stoves, plus fuel, as basically "neck and neck," weight-wise, over a 14-day period. The crossover point (where the alcohol stove becomes very slightly lighter) is at about 9 days. The canister stove used is not specified, however. I note that Sgt. Rock used a 21-oz. canister stove, which is really heavy--my Primus Micron (without the canister) is 3.5 oz. That's a big difference!

The isobutane canisters weigh a lot because they have to be strong enough to contain the contents under quite a bit of pressure. Better the extra weight than having a bomb explode in your pack, or even just having the propane leak out.

I love the convenience of canisters. I printed out the directions for making the cat stove and even went so far as to buy a couple of cans of cat food (which I need to give to my cat-owning neighbors before the expiration date!), but I never progressed further, mostly because of the article I cited. I think that one reason the alcohol stove appeals to through-hikers is that the fuel can be found just about anywhere, so it's much easier to re-supply. I also think that a lot of the choice depends on with which stove you're most comfortable. (The canister stove is easier to use, but it's tippier!) There is, of course, the option that if you opt for alcohol and to spend the $$ for Everclear, you can also use your fuel as a beverage, but I've never felt the need to drink booze in the outdoors. YMMV!

The empty isobutane canisters can be taken home and recycled with your cans if you punch a hole in them and let them sit outside a while for the fumes to evaporate. Even with Bob's hole-punching method, you could still recycle what's left.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/09/08 07:57 PM)