If I'm reading your post correctly, your concern is whether, if no one else is around, you would be able to help your husband if he seriously injured himself.

Have you ever been the only one around when he has been injured (maybe a bloody nose or nasty cut)? If so, how did you react? That may give you some clue as to what you'd do if it was just the two of you on the trail.

I'm not saying you'll be fine, but I have found that an emotional attachment does help overcome phobias. I'm also a little unsettled around blood, vomit, or dirty diapers. If it's an acquaintance or stranger, I usually let them sort it for themselves, without my presence. I also get very squeamish watching the TV doctor-dramas, and look away while they show the gory parts. However, with my wife, children, or grandchildren, I found that I never had any serious problem with minor wounds, throw-up cleanups, changing diapers, or watching my wife give birth. In one case, my 7-year-old son had a superficial but visually nasty cut on his forehead. I was the one that went into the ER with him and calmed him while holding his head firmly in place during the suturing. I wasn't happy about it, but I was able to do it because it was my son and had to be done.

I think your concern is valid. You might talk to local EMT's or Red Cross first aid instructors. They may have encountered other people with the same issues you're having, and might be able to help. Also, you might try taking a basic first aid course - sometimes, a little knowledge and self-confidence can help control your fears - or at least let you function in spite of them.

The only other encouragement that I can offer is that in 25 or 30 years of recreational backpacking, including groups of kids, I've never been injured myself or seen anyone else injured seriously. We've had our share of minor nicks, scrapes, bruises, and twisted ankles, but never anything serious. We also play it very safe - no climbing, no axes, knives only for adults, adults light stoves and carry fuel, etc.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Edited by Glenn (03/06/08 01:22 PM)