We got the kids in the car and drove all the way out in the middle of the night. Anyone that's been on the White Rim trail knows how fun that trail must have been in the dark. It often skirts cliffs and is really rough.

There wasn't any gear in it. We feel lucky that we had just taken the baby out of it. She was in there as I was pitching it. I honestly don't think that it would have slowed the tent down much.

We called the ranger station the next day. They said that there were gusts of wind at 70+ and that with changing weather (as it was last night) it's not uncommon to have sustained winds of 40+.

The tent knocked my wife down as it ripped out and became airborne. I just looked at it with disbelief. There was just no way to catch up to it, even if it did hit the ground at some point. It was weird that the first thought in my head was something like, "well, REI won't return that tent..."

To the poster above, thanks for the offer. I don't know what I'll do but I'll probably just buy another of the same tent. It fits my family of 6 in it, weighs less than 6 pounds, and packs unbelievably small. I don't know of anything similar.