Nice to meet ya JAK.

Superior still gives me goose bumps when I come over the ridge into Duluth from MPLS. The entire shoreline is fantastic. Along the trail in MN, you pass thru probably 8 or 9 state parks, all with rushing rivers and dramatic waterfalls. The forest ranges from pine to maple with patches of birch and tamarack, sometimes even in the same 10 mile stretch. Its awesome... except for the mosquitos.

I followed that link you provided: what a great story. The native presence along the N Shore is weak now b/c the shoreline property is so valuable. Grand Portage (last stop before Can), however, is still native land. Its depressed, but indigenous. The overall feeling of the north shore is still very raw and rough, though. And the shoreline as you enter Can is amazing. Anybody whos in G Portage on a sunny day needs to find Mount Josephine and climb it. You can actually see Isle Royale (25 miles out into the lake), and Thunder Bay, Ont is amazing!