Quote:

I am looking to get a multi fuel stove for coffee and water, I plan to do the majority of my cooking over coals from a camp fire. For anyone that uses the multi fuel stoves how do you avoid the smell of gas in your pack.

In my experience, unless you're planning on deep winter camping, or travel to exotic third world
destinations, you probably don't need multi-fuel - it's a waste of money, and extra weight. A nice
little bitty canister stove like a snow peak, msr pocket rocket, etc. would probably be much easier
to use, much cheaper on the pocketbook, lighter, and no danger of smell. Many of us also use
alcohol stoves made out of pop cans.

Having said that, if you're determined to use white gas, I avoid this when using this by making sure
the gas bottle is tightly sealed, and ensuring all the gas has burned out of my stove when shutting it off. In my case (MSR whisperlight) I drain any unused fuel from the line back into the bottle before sealing up. I don't carry the pump in the bottle, I take it out and use the cap.

Quote:

Second question, does anyone pack a fishing pole and real in the pack and would a PCV pipe straped to the pack work for protection for the pole.

PS: Pack weight is not a concern

Well, for me weight is always a concern, however I use a pipe strapped to the pack for fishing poles, just not a black pvc one - I go get a piece of builtin vac tubing - it's plenty of protection but thinner
and lighter. I use a cap on one end (the bottom) and duct tape a cap on the other.
Browse my pictures