I use a cut-handled toothbrush, 1 Tbs. of baking soda, and a hot a cup of water to brush with each morning on the trail, the same routine I use at home except for the cut-handle. Brushing just isn't the same with cold water. Hot water is a much better solvent than cold and you can feel the difference. I dig a little cat hole to spit in and cover it when I'm finished. That's about as little impact as I can squeeze out of that chore.

Bringing the temporary filling kit is a good idea. They're light and small. I have one in my med kit. I've never used it, but I did save a buddy from certain misery when he had a filling come out on the second day of a three nighter. He was pretty amazed when I pulled it out of my pack.

I never use fluoride. If I get any fluoride at all it's from Florida orange juice (I don't drink much of that) or from what naturally occurs in our county well water (not much there either).

I had friends that lived in Fraiser Park, CA. Their water had so much fluoride they couldn't drink it. That stuff's not good for you.

Bill