I have worked out my shuttle/ride to Springer to start the BMT. I am going down 68 and will take two side trips to get to the trail and then cross it two times on my way. I want to place 4 caches to avoid hiking to town and also to eliviate two long sections between resupply. This is my plan.
It will be three weeks before I get to my last cache.
I have a friend at the local paint store who can give me 5 gallon buckets (refered to as 5) with lids - used, but clean.
I was thinking -- (this is usually where the problems start)
I was going to put my food supply in gallon bags
then put that in a kitchen trash bag (now it will be double bagged)
Then add a few moth balls to bottom of the 5
then line the 5 with a kitchen garbage bag
add the double bagged food
then put in the alcohol, clean socks ect..
close the liner bag/ (third) garbage bag, toss in a few more moth balls
then put the lid on the can, and wire it shut with tie wire
next, make my stop to hide the 5 in the woods, and maybe hang it
mark the spot with surveyors tape and GPS.
Two things to bear in mind -- I am cheap and I like overkill. I do not want animals, locals or other hikers to get my stash. I really want it to be there when I get there.
I know they have scent bags, but I aint buying.
Any suggestions or easier way to do this on the cheap- the biggest problem is that I will have a 5 to carry for a little while before finding a trash receptacle. I guess I could multi use and use it as a seat when I rest.

What about hanging it? Should I? I feel like I should, but that makes it more of a target for Billy Bobs to find it. It is amazing the places you will find a Billy Bob. And if Billy Bob sees a bucket hanging in a tree its either gonna get shot or cut down.

Right on.