Quote:

have you ever had any luck pitching a true cheapo emergency space type blanket, you know, the flimsy kind, without it tearing to pieces? Just curious as the cheap type is the often 'recommended carry type, when in fact the 11 oz or so Space Brand blanket is MUCH more durable and trustworthy IME. I use one as a groundsheet/heat reflector in Winter with good results. It's a bit stiff for use under a hammock IME but works if it's not trully windy.

I have not used a space blanket but I know someone who has made a practice overnight shelter with a light version but not the lightest. It has either tie outs or grommets, I forget which. I'll try to find the brand. I do know that other people have had problematic results from some of the light type blankets in wind. they became shredded. These days I carry a Sea to Summit nylon poncho. It is not the silnylon version that they make as they are too translucent and let sun rays through. It works well and it just a little bit heavier than the sil stuff. It keeps most of the rays out. As mock turtle said, the dryness causes rapid evaporation so when a summer rain comes or worse a winter rain, the temps can drop 40 degrees (in summer) just like that. We keep them in the pack for multiple protection all the time. If one is stuck out overnight, they can roll up in it to stay protected, very versatile piece of gear.