Water in the desert is highly seasonal, and also varies from year to year, depending upon the amounts of rainfall in any given year. Right now Arizona seems to be getting adequate amounts of rainfall.

I have hiked in the Superstitions when there was a trickling brook every quarter mile, and I did a winter trip in the Gila Bend Gunnery Range (by vehicle) where the roadway was a very decent stream for miles on end. This is one of the hottest and driest areas in the continent. I have also humped gallons of water and needed every drop, ending up fiercely dehydrated at the end of the trip. In the desert timing is everything.

Spring is a fine time to hike in Arizona. Get expert local knowledge on the water sources and don't hesitate to pack extra. You will be surprised at the number of trees (defined as plants with limbs high enough and strong enough to hang your food from) in nearly every part of the desert. Think palo verde, saguaro, mesquite, etc. Food storage isn't much of an issue unless you are in a heavily used campground.

You will have a great time.