Quote:
I have never used a hammock, but from the pics I've seen, they look much worse than a tent to me as far as feeling closed in when covered with a tarp.

Take a look at one of our sponsors-Tarptent. Henry (the owner of Tarptent) makes an open designed tent-hence the name. They all get rave reviews and come in different sizes.

I looked at those too - I wouldn't have an issue with the tent I have, except for my panicked morning exits, which (should have mentioned this too) are more problematic because I have a hard time getting out and up off the ground. I'm afraid I'm going to ruin the tent. The zipper doesn't work unless I have proper tension on the material or I'm pulling the right angle, and anxiety makes me less patient with that. And my legs work fine for hiking around, up and down, but I have trouble rising from the ground.

Needless to say I'm getting back into yoga again, but it's gonna be a while. The hammocks have the appeal of getting my feet under me with minimal fuss. And I'm gonna have to get used to tarps and covers, one way or the other, because there's no avoiding it - but the hammocks seem to have more flexibility than a double wall tent, so far as how close or far you hang the cover. That said, I appreciate the suggestions and if I can overcome some of these issues I may have another look at tarptents and retire the dome to car camping or loaning to friends.

http://hikeandbackpack.com