Quote:
Quote:
1. Can you put boiling water directly into them?

Platypus bags are food-grade polyethelene. They can be boiled themselves, so I doubt that pouring boiling water into them will hurt one bit. However, this leaves the water tasting...well...like boiled water. If you let it cool then whip it a bit to re-aerate, it'll taste better.

Quote:
2. How do you get them dried completely to avoid mildew when they are stored?

I have used several methods to store Platy's. To dry one, take a bottle brush and put it inside the bag - it holds it open enough to dry. You can speed it up in the oven on "Warm". Lay it on a cookie rack on a cookie sheet to avoid hot spots that might damage the bag.

You can freeze the almost dry bag. Roll it up and use a rubber band. Then put them in a tupperware to protect the bag from being smashed, which could lead to holes. Much easier than drying.

You can store it wet if you use a dose of Aqua Mira or a chlorine dioxide tablet. Just mix a batch according to the product directions. Then portion it out into each bag you own. This has the advantage of preventing any "slime" from growing on the inside of the bag. Store in a dark place. You can rinse before next use, but it's not required.

Now I just wash the bag and fill it with "bottled" water. This water is virtually devoid of anything that nourishes life (because of reverse-osmosis and deionization), so nothing grows in the bags. The plus is that it serves as emergency water (when we have "The Big One" out here in Cal). YMMV, since I use my Platys at least once a month. As with the previous storage method, a dark place is preferred since light just -might- result in algae growth.

Great ideas!!!

Thanks