After spending a 12-hour day working my way through overgrown jungle with a machete, I could sleep on a lava rock and use a wiggling Iguana for a pillow and it would not keep me awake. However, for the nights I make camp early and am not exhausted, I NEED MY PILLOW! I don't bring my regular king size bed pillow, though I have compressed it just to see if I could make allowances... way too big! I have a little pillow that I bought in a crafts shop. It's 12 inches long and 9 inches across and 8 inches thick. It's filled with synthetic stuffing and I can compress it down to 6x5 inches and half the thickness. I use a silk stuff sack that doubles as a pillowcase. I've tried the clothing in a stuff sack "pillow", but they are not resilient enough, they always shape-shift under my head, and inevitably I end up with a zipper in my ear. My second luxury item would be my small binoculars. They save me a lot of backtracking by using them to search out a passable route far in advance. Third, I carry a Carson MA-30 MagniScope. It’s only 7 inches long, weighs 4 ounces, and includes a 3x Loupe, 8x Monocular, plus a precision 30x microscope. I enjoy the little things on the trail along with the vistas. You would not believe the variety of insects here! I carry NO music on the trail. There are too many remarkable sounds of nature to enjoy to be masking it with an Ipod. Some might consider my custom machete as being a luxury, but I can’t live without her.