Quote:
In my opinion, we have an obligation to, at least, tactfully question bad and/or dubious ideas. If the poster gets their feelings hurt by answers they don't like and go away; well, that's life in the big city!

I am coming more and more to disagree with your premise. I really don't feel any obligation to answer any question posted here. My participation is at my discretion; I respond to the posts that interest me and don't feel I owe anyone anything from the fact that I am a member.

As a moderator, a voluntary position, by the way, I have some responsibility to Charles to keep an eye on what gets posted, but if I choose not to participate in a discussion, that is my decision only.

I don't profess any particular expertise that qualifies me more than anyone else to respond to any particular post. I usually just apply what I consider common sense. People can take it or leave it.

I never recommend anything I wouldn't do myself and even then, some things I would do, I wouldn't recommend to a newbie because I know what I can handle and have no way of knowing anything about them or their abilities.