I agree with Bearpaw on this. Normally when I have a partner it is either my father-in-law or my own father. My f-i-l hikes at a pace that is way to fast for me to enjoy my hike (he is all about getting as many miles in per day as possible) and my dad hikes a lot slower than I care to hike so I end up having to let him set the pace and I get more worn out by hiking a pace that is not my own. Now, when I am out by myself, I can hike my own pace and enjoy my trip to the fullest.

However, there are risks when you hike alone, but only a few more than with a group....The biggest is what happens if you get hurt without a partner IMHO...with a partner, they can go get help...but that's not to say that if you were by yourself you wouldn't be prepared with a satellite phone or some form of communication...

Normally when I go out alone, my wife knows what trail I am taking and that if she doesn't hear from my by a certain time that something must have happened and she comes looking for me...Granted, there is a grace period, like I decided to take it easy on the hike out or something...but normally I try to keep my car somewhere that when I am near it, I have cell phone signal so I can call her..

Again, to each their own in this world and everyone has their own opinion on what is best...you just have to soul search, if you will, and find your own answer.