I'd have to disagree about having a "leader" on a normal backpacking trip that involves a small, informal group. I have to confess I haven't done much backpacking with people I didn't know fairly well, but the idea of say, three or four friends who all have some backpacking experience assigning a leader strikes me as ludicrous. And if they don't know each other well, who gets to be leader? Most of the people I've met who would naturally assume the role of leader couldn't lead a %$#%$# with a book of instructions. And yes, I have a little problem with incompetents in positions of authority.

Even larger groups don't always need a leader. I once accompanied a group of Explorer Scouts on an overnight trip in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness. I went along for no other reason than their rules required that someone over 21 be there (I was about 25 or 26 at the time.) I think there were seven or eight of us altogether. Although I felt a certain responsibility for them, and kept an eye on them, I didn't assume a leadership role, and they didn't need it.